In today’s post, we will concentrate on vital behaviors that affect oral health. Of course, effective brushing and flossing are two important habits for healthy teeth, but there are many more things we can do to keep a healthy smile.
- Do eat a nutritious diet with a variety of foods. This is needed for overall physical health and a strong immune system.
- Do eat calcium-rich dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt to neutralize acids that are detrimental to the enamel.
- Don’t eat sugary foods. Sugar results in the production of harmful cavity-causing acids that weaken enamel and lead to tooth decay.
- Don’t snack throughout the day. This speeds up plaque production and subjects the teeth to continual contact with acids.
- Don’t chew on ice. (It really can break teeth.)
- Don’t drink energy drinks. They have many substances that are dangerous to teeth.
Other Important Tips
- Don’t use your teeth as tools. It is smarter to cut that knotted shoelace than to gnaw at it to try to untangle it.
- Don’t get piercings in or around your mouth.
- Don’t ignore tooth pain or sensitivity.
- If you have children, communicate with Dr. Montz about water fluoridation. If your municipal water supply is not fluoridated, you may want to give your children fluoride supplements.
- Don’t use a medium or hard bristle toothbrush. It can damage gums.
- If you have an eating disorder—seek professional help immediately. Bulimia and anorexia are extremely damaging to teeth. (Not to mention the toll they take on the heart and other organs.)
We urge all of our patients to maintain a lifestyle that supports dental health as well as overall physical health. At Montz and Maher Dental Group, we serve the Friendswood area with exceptional dental care including general and cosmetic dentistry. Ask us about sedation dentistry, CEREC dental crowns, porcelain veneers, and teeth whitening.
Contact Montz and Maher Dental Group:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
820 S Friendswood Ste 100